For most of us, a good night's rest starts with the pillow that's under our heads, which is why it's so important to recognize when it's time to invest in a new one. Yes, that favorite pillow of yours that you've been using for the last decade definitely needs to be replaced (we know it's hard). So how do you know if it's time for a switch? Here are five signs that you need a new pillow.
- It smells funny. Throw away pillows at the first hint of bad smells. This may be a sign that mold and mildew are present and definitely needs to be tossed. Remember, you'll spend a third of your life on this thing!
- It's a pain in the neck. How do you feel? If you wake up with aches and pains in your neck, it may be time to invest in a new pillow that better supports your sleep style. Some pillows can be adjusted to your own firmness and height preferences, and will ensure a comfortable night's rest, whether you sleep on your side, stomach or back.
- It has lumps. When you lay your pillow flat, is it lumpy or does it have bumps in it? If you answered, yes, then it's time for a new pillow.
- It folds in half‚ and stays folded. Whether your pillow is filled with natural or synthetic down or memory foam, it should always, or at least slowly, regain its shape after being folded in half. If it doesn't, then it may be time for a new pillow.
- It's past its prime. We know it's rude to ask, but how old is your pillow? Pillows should be replaced every two years because a lot of dust, bacteria, oil and dust mites, can build up over time, creating an unhealthy sleep environment. Using pillow protectors can protect both your face/head and your pillows from bacteria, mold and mites to extend longevity.
If your current pillow falls into any of the above categories, then it's time to replace it and get a new pillow that gives you the support you need and provides you with a healthy and hygienic sleep environment.
Be sure to check out our Pillows Page for the best options out there!