We've all had those nights when we've already eaten dinner, but still feel hungry. Luckily, there are many healthy bedtime snacks that will not only help satisfy your hunger but will also promote better sleep. In fact, many foods naturally contain sleep-inducing vitamins and minerals. Here' a list of six healthy bedtime snacks that will leave your stomach feeling content and your body ready for sleep.
- Bananas are packed with the minerals magnesium and potassium, which help to relax your muscles for a better night' sleep. Bananas also contain the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan.
- Almonds or walnuts. Grab a handful of your favorite nuts for a healthy bedtime snack. Almonds are rich in magnesium, which plays a role in regulating sleep. Walnuts contain melatonin, the hormone that helps you sleep, and have also been shown to be a powerful antioxidant.
- Cereal and milk. You may find this to be odd to eat before bed, but cereal and milk are actually the perfect bedtime snack because of the combination of carbohydrates and protein, which can increase the level of tryptophan in the blood when eaten together. Other carb/protein combos include cheese and crackers or peanut butter and toast.
- Cherry juice. This tart juice is a natural source of melatonin and tryptophan. According to research, drinking tart cherry juice twice a day can help you sleep nearly 90 more minutes a night.
- Most fish , especially halibut, salmon and tuna , are high in vitamin B6, which is needed to make melatonin, which controls our sleep and wake cycles.
- Leafy greens. Green leafy vegetables like kale or spinach are loaded with calcium, which helps produce melatonin.